Preparation Is The Key To Preventing Health Care Disputes
Have you thought about how decisions about your health care will be made in the event you become incapacitated? At The Law Office of Stuart A. McKenzie, I can help you explore all of the legal options available to you, including advance health care directives and living wills.
If you don’t put your wishes in writing, critical decisions regarding your health treatment can become the subject of debate between family members. These decisions may even be left in the hands of judges.
Understanding Advance Health Care Directives In California
Advance health care directives generally include the following components:
- Durable power of attorney for health care: Allows you to appoint a trusted person to make decisions about your health care.
- Living will: Documents your decisions regarding what type of treatment you would like in certain situations.
An advance health care directive can achieve important goals, including:
- Appointing a trusted agent to make critical medical decisions in the event you are no longer able to make those decisions for yourself
- Sparing your family members from contentious disputes over life-sustaining and end-of-life treatment
- Eliminating the need for establishing a conservatorship
If you already have a health care directive in place and need to update it, I can review your documents to make sure they are up to date and still in line with your goals. I welcome the opportunity to review your overall picture with regard to estate planning.
Contact My Estate Planning Law Office Today
I am here to ensure that your wishes are carried through in the face of an uncertain future. I give my clients peace of mind by establishing legal orders that stand up to scrutiny. Contact me online or by telephone at 714-975-8396 to arrange a consultation with an experienced estate planning lawyer in Huntington Beach.